EXERCISE: Gym - 6 Tips to Motivate Yourself and Stick to Your Routine

EXERCISE: Gym - 6 Tips to Motivate Yourself and Stick to Your Routine

Are you finding it hard to kick-start your exercise routine and drag yourself to the gym?

Trust me, you're not alone in this battle! 

After numerous teases on my fat belly, from:
  • My dad, "There's treasure in there!",
  • My gym instructor, "That's a 'beer belly'!",
  • And most of all, my wife, "Your back is more appealing than your front!"
I'm motivated! If you're in my shoes, aren't you?

So, how did I do it? Well, it wasn't easy, but I found a few tried-and-true methods that helped me kick-start my exercise routine and stick with it.

Here are my top tips:

1. Set SMART goals:

http://fit40strong.com

What do you want to achieve with your fitness journey? Do you want to lose weight, build muscle, or improve your overall fitness? Once you know your goals, make sure they are SMART: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound.

For example, instead of saying "I want to lose weight," say "I want to lose 10 pounds in 3 months." This will give you a clear target to work towards and help you stay motivated.


2. Find a Workout Buddy:


Having someone to share your fitness journey with can make a big difference. A workout buddy can motivate you to get to the gym, even when you're feeling lazy. They can also help you push yourself harder and stay on track with your goals. My wife is my gym buddy and we cheer each other on. Together we add motivational oil to fire. Over time, we witness the physical transformation on each other. And we absolutely love it! If you don't have any friends who are interested in working out, there are many online communities and forums where you can find workout buddies.

3. Create a killer playlist.

Music can be a powerful motivator.



Curate a playlist filled with your favorite high-energy tunes to get you pumped up for your workouts. Studies have shown that music can improve endurance and make your workouts feel less strenuous. It is so true. The gym that I’m go to, always blast away with their battle-cry like motivational music. It pumps me up lifting those heavy weights.

So, grab your headphones, hit play, and let the beats lead the way!


4. Plan your workouts.

Having a structured workout plan can help you make the most of your time at the gym. It can also help you stay motivated and on track. Here’s an example of a workout plan, called the “Push-Pull-Leg” or PPL routine, where you separate your “pushing”, “pulling” and “leg” workouts into consecutive days of the week.


Consider consulting with a personal trainer or using workout apps to create a personalized plan that meets your needs and goals. If you're curious, my workouts are detailed in my blog.

5. Reward yourself.

Positive reinforcement works wonders.



Reward yourself after hitting certain milestones in your fitness journey. Whether it's a guilt-free cheat meal, a spa day, or a new pair of sneakers, rewards can help you stay motivated.

6. Educate yourself.

Understanding the benefits of exercise can be a huge motivator.


Did you know that regular exercise can boost your mood, increase energy levels, and reduce the risk of chronic diseases?
For me personally, two of the most motivating reasons to exercise are:

  • Building muscles through weightlifting burn more fat, even long after the workout. This is known as the afterburn effect, or excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). I could be sitting on my coach chilling on my favorite TV series, and still my fat burns on.
  • Exercise promotes blood flow, even through the veins underneath the hair follicles. This means that exercise can indirectly promote hair growth. More hair growth - you say? Count me in.

Now you know what I know. The more you know about the benefits of exercise, the more motivated you'll be to stick with it.

The bottom line:

Motivating yourself to start going to the gym doesn't have to be an uphill battle. By following the tips above, you can make it easier to stick with your fitness routine and achieve your goals.

And what is more motivating and rewarding to me than to to hear it from my own teenage daughter, "Pa, you lose weight!"

Faithfully yours, Gary
fit40strong.com

P.S. 
Thought-provoking questions:
  • What are your fitness goals?
  • What are some of the challenges you face when it comes to motivating yourself to exercise?
  • How can we create a more supportive environment for people to achieve their fitness goals?

I encourage you to reflect on these questions and share your thoughts in the comments below.

And if you're need help answering these provoking questions, here are my killer recommendations:

Comments

Popular Posts

Strength Training Over 40: Building Muscle, Fitness, and Health

Don't Fear the Pump! How Cardio Fuels Your Strength Training Journey

Unlocking Your Muscle-Building Potential: The Synergistic Power of Nutrition and Strength Training